How to choose the best gaming laptop
There’s a lot to consider beyond screen size when choosing the best 13-inch laptop.
The first is the ability to be transported. Gaming laptops are trendy among college students because they provide an excellent mix between screen real estate and mobility. The Dell XPS 13 is a perfect example of this. Even though it weighs roughly 2 pounds and is just 0.5 inches thick, it has a 13.3-inch edge-to-edge display.
Battery life is another important consideration since portable equipment should operate for extended periods. Consider purchasing a laptop with a battery life of at least 9 hours, which should be plenty to carry you through a full day of work or a lengthy international journey, for example.
Regarding specifications, we suggest a laptop with an Intel U-series or H-series Core i5 processor, at least 8GB of RAM (16GB is preferable), and a minimum of 256GB of storage as a starting point. AMD’s 4000-series processors are expected to be released soon, so keep a lookout for them. You may have noticed that the new MacBook Air 2020 does not meet those standards (a low-power Y-series processor powers it), but it is still a viable alternative if you like macOS and do not want to spend a lot of money. Speaking of which, Chromebooks like the Pixelbook Go are a great deal, and we see an increasing number of 13-inch variants on the market.
In addition, a comfortable keyboard and a responsive touchpad are essential considerations. In addition, when it comes time to watch Netflix or YouTube, be sure you choose a laptop with a vibrant and brilliant display (like any of those listed here).
The Best Gaming Laptops Under 900
30 Best Gaming Laptops Under 900 Products Reviews
Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55-53E5 Gaming Laptop | Intel Core i5-10300H | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU | 15.6" FHD 144Hz IPS Display | 8GB DDR4 | 256GB NVMe SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6 | Backlit Keyboard
- Dominate the Game: With the 10th Gen Intel Core i5-10300H processor, your Nitro 5 is packed with incredible power for all your games
- RTX, It's On: The latest NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 (4GB dedicated GDDR6 VRAM) is powered by award-winning architecture with new Ray Tracing Cores, Tensor Cores, and streaming multiprocessors support DirectX 12 Ultimate for the ultimate gaming performance
- Visual Intensity: Explore game worlds in Full HD detail on the 15.6" widescreen LED-backlit IPS display with 1920 x 1080 resolution, 144Hz refresh rate and 80% screen-to-body, 16:9 aspect ratio
- Internal Specifications: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz Memory (2 DDR4 Slots Total, Maximum 32GB); 256GB NVMe SSD (2 x PCIe M.2 Slots, 1 x 2.5" Hard Drive Bay Available)
- Prioritize Your Gameplay: Killer Ethernet E2600 and Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 gives you an edge online by taking control of your network and prioritizing your gameplay
- Stay Cool Under Pressure: When heavy use requires an added boost, Acer CoolBoost technology increases fan speed by 10% and CPU, GPU cooling by 9% compared to auto mode, overall increasing thermal performance by 25% for better gaming comfort
- Take Control of Your Gaming Laptop: The NitroSense UI can be called up with the dedicated keyboard button so you can instantly visualize your PC's component temperature, fan speed, loading performance, power plan, and more
- With Alexa Show Mode, you can use your PC as a full-screen interactive experience that features rich visuals and lets you talk to Alexa from across the room.
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15 15.6" Laptop, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) Display, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H Processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD Storage, Windows 10H, 82K20015US, Shadow Black
- Fueled by the revolutionary AMD Ryzen 5000 H-Series mobile processor, this IdeaPad gaming laptop delivers the wins. With 6 ultra-responsive cores, it's the new standard for gaming performance in innovative, thin, and light laptops
- 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS display with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 GPU to supercharge your favorite games. Slingshot your gaming visuals with 120Hz refresh rate for tear-free gaming
- 8GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM memory and 256GB M.2 PCIe SSD storage
- Connectivity: RJ45 Ethernet, 2x2 WiFi 802.11 ax, Bluetooth 5.0; 720p HD webcam and microphone array with privacy shutter; HDMI, USB-C
- 2 x 2W speakers with Nahimic Audio for Gamers; spacious gaming keyboard with white backlight
ASUS TUF Gaming Laptop, 15.6” 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type Display, Intel Core i7-9750H Processor,Gigabit Wi-Fi 5, Windows 10 Home, FX505GT-AB73
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5 (Base: 1395MHz, Boost: 1560MHz, TDP: 50W)
- Intel Core i7-9750H Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.5GHz)
- 15.6” 144Hz FHD (1920x1080) IPS-Type display
- 512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD | 8GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM | Windows 10 Home
- Durable MIL-STD-810G military standard construction
ASUS TUF Gaming F17 Gaming Laptop, 17.3” 144Hz FHD IPS-Type Display, Intel Core i5-10300H, GeForce GTX 1650 Ti, 8GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD, RGB Keyboard, Windows 10, Bonfire Black, FX706LI-ES53
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti 4GB GDDR6 Graphics up to 1585MHz at 80W TGP.
- Quad-core Intel Core 15-10300H Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.5 GHz, 4 cores)
- 144Hz17.3” Full HD (1920x1080) IPS-Type display
- 512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD | 8GB DDR4 2933MHz RAM
- Durable MIL-STD-810H military standard construction
- Comes with Windows 10 Home and a FREE upgrade to Windows 11 (when available1)
MSI GL65 Gaming Laptop: 15.6" Display, Intel Core i5-10300H, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, Win10, Black (10SCXK-211)
- Pushing Power: The 10th Gen. Intel Core i5 processor, delivers high performance to take on any games and applications with ease
- Supercharged Graphics: The MSI GL65 is powered by NVIDIA GeForce graphics, take on today's most popular games with these performance graphics
- On the Go Gaming: Designed to be thin and light for gamers to carry around every day for games, study, or work
- Cool and Powerful: MSI’s exclusive Cooler Boost Technology ensures optimal thermal dissipation. Featuring 2 fans and 6 heat pipes, get the airflow you needfor gaming
- Customized Keys: Customize each key to your liking and receive real-time in-game status through keyboard lighting, or even watch the lights dance to your favorite tune
Acer Nitro 5 Gaming Laptop, 10th Gen Intel Core i5-10300H,NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti, 15.6" Full HD IPS 144Hz Display, 8GB DDR4,256GB NVMe SSD,WiFi 6, DTS X Ultra,Backlit Keyboard,AN515-55-59KS
- 10th Generation Intel Core i5-10300H Processor (Up to 4.5GHz)
- 15" Full HD Widescreen IPS LED-backlit 144Hz Refresh Display | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Graphics with 4 GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM
- 8GB DDR4 2933MHz Memory | 256GB NVMe SSD (2 x PCIe M.2 Slots - 1 Slot Open for Easy Upgrades) & 1 - Available Hard Drive Bay
- LAN: Killer Ethernet E2600 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN | Wireless: Intel Wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX201 802.11ax
- Backlit Keyboard | Acer CoolBoost Technology with Twin Fans and Quad Exhaust Ports Design
HP Pavilion Gaming 15.6-Inch Micro-EDGE Laptop, Intel Core i5-9300H Processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (4 GB), 8 GB SDRAM, 256 GB SSD, Windows 10 Home (15-dk0020nr, Shadow Black/Acid Green)
- Fast and easy multitasking: experience high-grade Graphics and processing power that meets your gaming and multitasking needs for the latest games including Fortnight, PUBG, and Overwatch
- Advanced thermal Management: optimized thermal design and IR sensor keeps your laptop cool to the touch, without affecting acoustics
- Fast Processor: 9th Generation intel(r) core(tm) i5-9300h Processor, quad-core, 2.4GHz up to 4.1GHz with Intel's) Turbo Boost
- Realistic graphics: nvidia(r) geforce(r) GTX 1650 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated). enjoy new levels of gaming realism and performance with real-time ray-tracing technologies. Vr/mr ready. 15.6-Inch diagonal FHD IPS Anti-Glare micro-edge WLED-backlit Display (1920x1080) with 60Hz refresh rate
- Memory and storage: 8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (upgradable with 2 accessible Memory Slots) and Fast boot-up, file transfer and a snappier experience with the internal 256 GB pcie(r) nvme(tm) M.2 Solid State Drive
- Bios recovery and protection: automatically checks the health of your PC, protects against unauthorized access, secures local storage and recovers itself from boot-up issues
- Ports: USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C(tm), 3 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A, RJ-45, HDMI, headphone-microphone combo
- Battery life: up to 8 hours and 15 minutes (mixed usage); up to 6 hours and 45 minutes (video playback); up to 5 hours and 30 minutes (wireless streaming).
HP Pavilion 16.1 inch Gaming Laptop (1920x1080) FHD 144Hz , Intel Core i5-10300H, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti with Max-Q Design, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD+32GB Optane, Windows 10 Home
- Windows 10 Home, 16.1 inch FHD 144Hz refresh rate display
- Intel Core i5-10300H 2.5GHz , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660TI 6GB,
- 8GB DDR4 (2*Slots), 512GB SSD+32 Optane
- 2x USB 3.0 Type A, 1x USB 3.0 Type C , 1x HDMI Outputs, 1x Ethernet Ports and 1x Headphone/microphone combo jack
- Backlit keyboard, Wireless-AC Bluetooth 5.0 , B&O dual speakers, Lithium-ion polymer 3-Cell, DVD/CD drive not included
HP Pavilion Gaming 15 Laptop, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, AMD Ryzen 5 4600H, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB PCIe NVMe SSD, 15.6" Full HD, Windows 10 Home, Backlit Keyboard (15-ec1010nr, 2020 Model)
- REALISTIC GAMING GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated). Get all the power you need for a fast, smooth, power-efficient gaming laptop experience. 15.6-inch diagonal Full HD IPS anti-glare micro-edge WLED-backlit display, 250 nits, 45% NTSC (1920 x 1080) with 60Hz refresh rate; 79% screen to body ratio
- AMD RYZEN MOBILE PROCESSOR: Uplift your performance and multitask seamlessly with accelerated power and efficiency, while enjoying stunning HD visuals. AMD Ryzen 5 4600H Processor, 3 GHz base clock up to 4 GHz max boost clock
- HIGHER BANDWIDTH MEMORY & FAST BOOTUP WITH SOLID-STATE DRIVE: Boot up in seconds, transfer files without waiting hours, and enjoy a speedier laptop gaming experience with the internal 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive (2 accessible M.2 slots, 1 available), and higher bandwidth, speed and efficiency with 8 GB DDR4-3200 MHz SDRAM (1 x 8 GB, 2 accessible memory slots upgradable to 32 GB , 2 x 16 GB)
- THIN, LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE GAMING LAPTOP WITH LONG BATTERY LIFE (unpackaged): 14.17 inches (W) x 10.12 inches (D) x 0.93 inch (H); 4.37 pounds. Up to 12 hours and 30 minutes (mixed usage); up to 11 hours (video playback); up to 8 hours and 45 minutes (wireless streaming), 3-cell 52.5 WH LI-ion polymer battery
- LAPTOP GAMING CONNECTIVITY: With a Wi-Fi 5 (2x2) WLAN adapter and Bluetooth 5.0, all your connections are rock solid. MU-MIMO supported SuperSpeed USB Type-C 5Gbps signaling rate, SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate, USB 2.0 Type-A (HP Sleep and Charge), Ethernet (RJ-45), 3.5mm Headphone/microphone combo, AC Smart pin, HDMI 2.0, multi-format SD media card reader
- BACKLIT KEYBOARD: Keep going comfortably even in darker laptop gaming environments. Full-size, island-style, acid green backlit, shadow black keyboard with numeric keypad
- OPERATING SYSTEM AND WARRANTY: Windows 10 Home and 1-year limited hardware warranty with 24-hour, 7 days a week web support when shipped from and sold by Amazon.com
- ADVANCED THERMAL MANAGEMENT: Optimized thermal design and IR sensor keeps your gaming laptop cool to touch, without affecting acoustics
DERE Laptop V14 AIR 14.1 inches Thin Laptop Computer, Intel Core i7-7500U Processor, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1920x1080 FHD Display Backlit Keyboard Full Metal Body Windows 10, USB 3.0, Type C, Pink
HP Pavilion Gaming 15-Inch Micro-Edge Laptop, Intel Core i5-9300H Processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (4 GB), 8 GB SDRAM, 256 GB SSD, Windows 10 Home (Shadow Black/Acid Green)
- This system grants you the ability to do it all with a balance between work and play for your comfort. With amazing high-grade Graphics and tremendous processing power.
- storage of your files, the Gaming Pavilion is equipped with a 256GB SSD. If you want to add external storage, optical drives, memory card readers, and more, there is one USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C port and three USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A ports, one of which supports charging. Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) is built in for wireless networking, and Bluetooth 4.2 technology will allow you to connect additional compatible peripherals, or take advantage of the Gigabit Ethernet port for wired network connectivity.
- 15.6" micro-edge display features a Full HD 1920 x 1080 native resolution, WLED-backlighting, an anti-glare coating, and a 16:9 aspect ratio. Dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (4 GB)
- The system is powered by a 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5-9300H processor, which allows you to run multiple applications simultaneously
- Bluetooth 4.2 technology will allow you to connect additional compatible peripherals, or take advantage of the Gigabit Ethernet port for wired network connectivity. A built-in multi-format SD card reader lets users download content from their digital camera, and other integrated features include a 720p Wide Vision HD webcam
Lenovo Ideapad L340 Gaming Laptop, 15.6 Inch FHD (1920 X 1080) IPS Display, Intel Core i5-9300H Processor, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB Nvme SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, Windows 10, 81LK00HDUS, Black
- A new dimension of gaming performance awaits - with 9th-generation Intel Core i5 processors, the IdeaPad L340 gaming has the power you need to outshoot, outrun, and outsmart anyone. Includes 8GB DDR4 RAM and 512GB NVMe SSD
- Take it to the next level - With the latest NVIDIA GeForce Graphics behind you, you can tame the hottest titles with faster, smoother, and more power-efficient gameplay. Plus, the 15.6-Inch screen delivers a stunning full HD IPS Display with 1920 x 1080 resolution
- A portal to a new sound dimension - hardwired into every Idea Pad L340 gaming is advanced Dopoundsy audio technology. Take your mobile gaming experience to another dimension and have a real blast along the way
- Control your own fate - Game in 'quick' Mode or work in 'quiet' Mode. It's your call with a simple function setting that lets you shift gears between modes, instantly.
- Final product may vary slightly from image
ASUS - TUF Gaming 15.6" Full HD Laptop - Intel Core i5-10300H- 8GB Memory - 256GB SSD -NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti – Black
- Intel Core i5-10300H, Quad-core 2.50 GHz (up to 4.50 GHz) 8 MB Cache
- 15.6 inches Full HD (1920 x 1080) display, 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti
How we test laptops
Every laptop goes through a rigorous benchmarking process that includes both synthetic and real-world testing before it is placed in the hands of our testers. This review looks at every area of the laptop’s performance, including its battery life, display, speakers, and heat management.
To determine the brightness and sRGB color gamut of the laptop’s display during our benchmark testing, we utilize a Klein K10 colorimeter with a spectrophotometer. Several benchmarks, including Geekbench 4.3 and 5.0 and 3DMark professional graphics tests, are used to evaluate the laptop’s overall performance and reliability.
We put the laptop through its paces by having it convert a 4K film to 1080p quality and duplicate a 4.97GB multimedia file to establish its real-world performance. Our real-world graphics test is the Dirt 3 benchmark, which we ran at medium settings and 1080p resolution for this article.
We also do heat tests on the laptop, playing a 15-minute full-screen movie while monitoring temperatures in various machine regions. We conclude with a prolonged web browsing session over Wi-Fi at 150 nits of brightness, which serves as our final battery test condition. A runtime of more than 9 hours is regarded as an excellent result for MacBooks and high-end Windows 10 laptops, although gaming laptops and workstations that can remain powered for more than 5 hours are commended.
As a supplement to these tests, our testers do comprehensive hands-on testing on the laptop, evaluating everything from its build quality to the feel of its touchpad.
Does laptop screen size matter?
Yes, it very certainly does. Things like working in programs side by side might become considerably more fluid due to the difference in size. The total length of the laptop also makes a difference in mobility. It’s not always possible to fit a 15-inch laptop into a backpack, and it’s even more challenging to use one in a confined space such as a small coffee shop table or on an airplane, where space is limited.
There are considerable changes in configuration possibilities between 13-inch and 15-inch laptops, which may be the most significant distinction. Take, for example, the Dell XPS 13 and XPS 15 laptops. A four-core CPU and integrated graphics are the maximum configurations for the XPS 13, while an eight-core processor and a separate GTX 1650 graphics card are now available for the XPS 15. Because of the additional room in the chassis, these more powerful components can be installed, resulting in a considerable increase in overall performance.
What is an exemplary screen resolution for a gaming laptop?
The majority of gaming laptops are available in two different resolutions: 1080p (1,920 x 1,080) and 4K (3,840 x 2,160). (3,840 x 2,160). The 4K choices are often substantially more costly and have a reduced battery life of a couple of hours. For most users, the 1080p options will be sufficient for their needs, particularly on a screen of this size and resolution. You may want to consider upgrading to 4K, though, because of the larger color spectrum typically available with it. It is perfect for editing photographs in 4K with more vibrant colors.
When you use a laptop with a larger screen, your resolution choices alter. Compared to other laptops, the MacBook Pro features a crisper 13-inch screen with a 16:10 aspect ratio, resulting in a screen resolution of 2,560 x 1,660. Meanwhile, the Surface Laptop 2 boasts a 13-inch screen with a 3,000 x 2,000 resolution and a 3:2 aspect ratio that is even crisper.
Which is the best laptop brand?
The most excellent laptop brand is determined by a mix of factors, including which firm creates the finest goods and delivers the best customer service. Dell meets the criteria for each of them, having made the most excellent laptop available on the market right now. HP and Lenovo aren’t far behind, both providing attractive laptop designs and equal levels of customer care.
Apple, which manufactures the most durable computers available, is in another league altogether. The company also provides a high-quality customer care experience that includes a physical brick-and-mortar shop (if you have one in your area). Because of the recent keyboard fiasco, the company’s overall reputation has taken a hit, and dependability has become a severe concern. However, even in this case, Apple ultimately admitted their mistake and began replacing the computers entirely.
Is a 13-inch laptop too small for gaming?
Even though a 13-inch laptop may not seem as visually engaging as a bigger screen, if your GPU can support your favorite game, a 13-inch laptop will prove to be a great gaming device. While larger screens unquestionably increase your situational awareness, the screen may not be able to support the game to its full potential. We recommend that you double-check the specifications of your bigger laptop; the CPU, RAM, SSD, and GPU all need to be able to accommodate the settings necessary for your game without experiencing any hiccups.
How do I know what size my laptop is?
Grab your ruler, measuring tape, or other measuring equipment and hold them diagonally over the top of your screen to measure it rapidly. The gadget should extend from one top corner to the other bottom corner on the opposite side. If you’re measuring your screen, be sure to leave the borders out of your measurements. If you don’t have a tool to measure the screen physically, try looking for your laptop’s make and model number online to see if you can find it.